Friday 13 November 2015

Found William L Dixon In The 1900 United States Federal Census

I found my great grandfather William L. Dixon in the 1900 United States Federal Census, along with his brother Ira Dixon. From the census record I learned the following: (Note Dixon was spelled Dickson in the census)

William’s birth month & year:  March 1894
William’s age: 6 years old
Ira’s birth year: 1889
Ira’s age: 11 years old
Both William & Ira were born in West Virginia


Residence for both William & Ira at the time of the census was Clay Wood, West Virginia.

According to the census both mother & father were born in West Virginia, but I don't have their names.

I learned at time of the census was take Ira couldn’t read or write as it is marked as No, on the census. Nothing will filled out for William.

 I also learned that William & Ira were not living with relatives when the census was taking, They were leaving in J. Hubbard Residence with his wife & daughter. The relationship status towards head of  house hold for both William & Ira is "inmate", which means they live there but aren’t relate to the head of house. From the census record you can see lots of people living in the Hubbard Residence who are not related to the Hubbard Family, and the relationship status of all those people are "inmate".

 I am very happy to find my great grandfather William in a census record. But now I have so many questions that I want answers too. Why was William & Ira not living with their parents? Did there parents die, and that is why they are living with the Hubbard Family? Was the Hubbard Residence some kind of boarding house?

 As the United State Federal Censuses are done every 10 years. I know I can’t fine William in the 1890 census as he was born in 1894. I will have to search for Ira in the 1890 census to see if he was living with his parents, and hopefully I can learn their names. Once I learn their names I can hopefully learn what happen and why in 1900 William & Ira are not living with them.


1900 United States Federal Census

No comments:

Post a Comment